Nine of the 25 highest-ranked public high schools on Newsweek’s 2016 “America’s Top High Schools” list are New Jersey county vocational-technical schools.
Eighteen New Jersey county vocational-technical schools were included on the magazine’s annual national list of the 500 high schools in the country ranked as the most successful in preparing students for college.
All the county vocational-technical schools included in the survey were ranked among the top 250 schools in the nation.
A total of 51 New Jersey public high schools made the list.
The Academy for Math, Science and Engineering in Rockaway, part of the Morris County Vocational School District, was ranked second in the nation.
Other county vocational-technical schools in the top 25 were:
• Union County Magnet High School in Scotch Plains
• Middlesex County for Science Math and Engineering Technologies in Edison
• Bergen Academies in Hackensack
• The Academy for Allied Health Sciences in Neptune (Monmouth County Vocational School District).
• Biotechnology High School in Freehold (Monmouth)
• High Technology High School in Lincroft (Monmouth)
• The Academy for Allied Health and Sciences in Scotch Plains (Union County Vocational-Technical Schools)
• The Academy for Information Technology in Scotch Plains (Union)
Also included on the list were:
• Communications High School in Wall (Monmouth)
• Middlesex County Academy for Allied Health and Biomedical Sciences in Woodbridge
• Bergen Tech in Teterboro
• The Marine Academy of Technology and Environmental Science (MATES) in Manahawkin (Ocean County Vocational Technical School)
• Morris County School of Technology in Denville
• The Marine Academy of Science and Technology (MAST) in Highlands (Monmouth)
• Union County Tech in Scotch Plains (Union)
• The Academy for Performing Arts in Scotch Plains (Union)
“While we recognize that efforts to rank and compare high schools are very subjective, we are very proud that county vocational-technical schools are so well-represented on Newsweek’s list,” said Timothy McCorkell, the president of the New Jersey Council of County Vocational-Technical Schools and the superintendent of the Monmouth County Vocational School District.
“It’s also a tribute to our local public school districts, which do such a great job in preparing these students for the rigorous academic programs at New Jersey county vocational schools,” McCorkell said.
More information about Newsweek’s top high schools and the methodology used in determining the rankings.