Burlington County Institute of Technology (BCIT) welcomed State Senator Troy Singleton to the Westampton Campus Tuesday, February 13, 2018 for a campus tour to celebrate February’s National Career and Technical Education (CTE) month.
Prior to touring BCIT’s CTE classrooms, Senator Singleton met with Superintendent Dr. Christopher Nagy, his administrative team, and Judy Savage, Executive Director of the NJ Council of County Vocational-Technical Schools (NJCCVTS).
Dr. Nagy shared a few recent accomplishments regarding manufacturing at BCIT and Ms. Savage provided advantages of a focus on manufacturing and apprenticeships within the County:
- BCIT launched a New School of Construction Technology this year
- BCIT launched last year a new Advanced Manufacturing facility at the Medford campus in partnership with RCBC
- BCIT has more than 400 business partnerships inclusive of program advisory committee members
- BCIT partners with RCBC where our Advanced Manufacturing Facility is shared in the evening through our Adult Education Program – additional sections have been added due to popularity of program
- BCIT hosted a National Apprenticeship Day this year at which we had 12 local unions present and involved in a hands on real world activity by union members
- BCIT will host the Skills USA Competition for Welding and anticipate hosting an Advanced Manufacturing event within the near future
- We currently have 84 apprentices in our Adult Education Program
- BCIT is an active member with the Burlington County Regional Chamber of Commerce and Burlington County Workforce Development Board
Senator Singleton toured several of BCIT’s career major classrooms: Dental Occupations, Allied Health Professionals, Entertainment Technologies, Pre-Engineering, and Heating, Ventilation, Air Conditioning/Refrigeration.
The students proudly discussed their career major, briefing him on their equipment as well as their future plans after graduation.
BCIT is a public Career and Technical High School serving Burlington County offering 30 career majors. BCIT offers post-secondary Adult Education courses of study with campuses in Medford and Westampton. For more information, please visit www.burlcoschools.org.